listview maintainer review, please...

Mikołaj Zalewski mikolaj at zalewski.pl
Tue May 27 08:45:18 CDT 2008

  I don't feel a maintainer of the listview but I have some experience
with the code causing this problem

Dan Kegel wrote:

>Can somebody familiar
>with the code have a look at that function and explain what's going on here?

  With the current implementation of the header control, the only case
when HDM_LAYOUT fails is when the header is not yet created. This may
happen between the WM_NCCREATE and WM_CREATE messages (the header is
created during the WM_CREATE). The test that triggers this sets an
imagelist during this period (an application requires this to work). I'm
not familiar enough with the code to know if it is correct that it
triggers an UpdateSize or why it started recently.
  A solution, working even if we allow the HDM_LAYOUT to fail, could be
to ZeroMemory(&wp) before the call. That way we have some sensible
defaults if the call fails. Another, would be to create the header
control on-demand like Windows does (see bug #4175), but I'm affraid,
even with a very careful testing that would introduce some regressions.

Mikolaj Zalewski