wine video codec demo

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue May 27 20:21:58 CDT 2008

I put together a little script demonstrating how to install
and use various video codecs and use them in a test
application (media player classic).  To try it out, do
  wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
  wget http://kegel.com/wine/codecdemo
  sh codecdemo
(after of course reading both scripts to make sure they
don't do something evil.)

To make this demo script easier to write, I added
quicktime72 and mpc verbs to winetricks.
(I also added a vlc verb, but that wasn't so useful as a
system codec test, since vlc has its own embedded codecs,
and doesn't use the system's.)

The demo shows that Quicktime works more or less,
but .wmv doesn't work (even with the codecs);
it probably needs either native quartz.dll or Maarten's VMR9
implementation (which he is busily finishing up now;
it seems to be good at finding video card driver bugs).

Next step: Dirac.