wininet: let automated testers force all DNS lookups to return localhost

Dan Kegel dank at
Mon Nov 3 15:53:36 CST 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Detlef Riekenberg < at> wrote:
>> > This approach won't help users of the Wine conformance
>> > tests running on Windows,
>> Sure it would; just make the test server setup script run on cygwin properly.
> require an installed cygwin is broken by design.
> winetest.exe is a standalone application.

It wouldn't be required.  You'd only need to run the
script if you wanted to avoid relying on

I prefer servers built into wine's conformance test suite.
But if we're going to keep using external servers, we
should at least document which ones we use,
and how to set them up.

>> > We should instead rewrite any existing tests that
>> > use a public server to instead use a server started
>> > by the Wine test code (see dlls/wininet/tests/http.c:server_thread).
> I prefer to have a winetest.dll for that.
> A winetest.dll / winetest.sys allow us to create even more tests.
> (Global Hooks and Device Drivers as examples)

Go for it...
- Dan