wininet: let automated testers force all DNS lookups to return localhost

Kai Blin kai.blin at
Tue Nov 4 00:29:33 CST 2008

On Friday 31 October 2008 16:11:58 Hans Leidekker wrote:
> On Friday 31 October 2008 15:52:43 James Mckenzie wrote:
> > >What happened to your /etc/hosts proposal? It has the
> > >advantage that we don't need changes to Wine source code.
> >
> > This would not work on Macs as /etc/hosts is locked to admins only and
> > would be a problem to implement.
> That's true for Unix in general, but I think we require admin rights
> already because the services need to bind ports below 1024 for example.

That's where the Samba style socket wrapper would help. The tricky part is
that this would have to be implemented in winsock, so it wouldn't necessarily
port to windows too well. On the other hand, binding to low ports isn't that
big of a problem on windows, and we require administrator privileges for the
tests anyway.

Kai Blin
WorldForge developer
Wine developer