Wine support for win64

Francois Gouget fgouget at
Tue Nov 4 12:37:49 CST 2008

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> I think we still have the problem that gcc doesn't support the calling
> convention Win64 uses, so we can't compile a Wine that is compatible with
> Win64 apps.

In the meantime we can work on the long vs. LONG issue:
 * there are a number of places where the Windows SDK uses 'long'. But
on Win64 'long' is 32bit, while every other 64bit platform treats it as
 * in Wine's headers and in the code there are plenty of places where we
use long where we really want a 32bit integer for 64bit.

The fix for all these is to replace 'long' with 'LONG' which Wine keeps
32bit just like Windows (though I wonder if we should not use something
lile 'wine_long' instead).

This is not awfully complex stuff but there's a ton of it. So we might
as well start now so that we're ready when the time comes.

Francois Gouget <fgouget at>
                          "Utilisateur" (nom commun) :
        Mot utilisé par les informaticiens en lieu et place d'"idiot".