Patch for WineD3D to set Driver an Description

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Wed Nov 12 04:19:54 CST 2008

> 2008/11/7 Mirek Slugeň <thunder.m at email.cz>:
> > Hi, Fallout 3 and maybe other games or D3D apps need such special
> settings,
> > this patch should be ok, it is well tested.
> >
> > This patch is not hack!
> >
> > New wine registry settings:
> > VideoDriver
> > VideoDescription
> >
> > Patch is for current (07.11.2008) git.
> >
> > PS: For Fallout 3 those registry settings should be (or similar):
> > "VideoDescription"="NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT"
> > "VideoDriver"="nv4_disp.dll"
> >
> > Mirek Slugen
> >
> I think you should integrate this with the card detection in
> IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps(), directx.c lines 1029-1330. Roderick might
> be able to give some help wrt driver and description strings for
> specific cards.

I would recommend you to hardcode values specific for your card at this point in your own wined3d version. Right now we estimate all info at Wine startup based on GL information. In case of cards which we don't know even from other vendors we also report Nvidia.

The physx/cuda libraries require proper nvidia information in wined3d but this can't be solved properly at this point. We also need the proper pci ids and amount of video memory among other things. I'm working on a solution but this needs some changes in wine's display driver to return this info from extensions like Nvidia's NV-CONTROL. In case of NV-CONTROL I have requested some additional functionality and once that is there I will fix this once and for all. Until then I would recommend using your private wined3d patch as it can do more bad than good for most users.

Roderick