RFC: Wine Icons

Joel Holdsworth joel at airwebreathe.org.uk
Fri Nov 14 07:54:21 CST 2008

Hi All,

I notice that some of Wine's icons have been changed in recent releases.
In principle I think updating the icons is a great idea, but right now I
gotta say that icons in Wine are a real disaster.

Take a look here: http://www.airwebreathe.org.uk/icons.png

This is a screenshot of the shell folder select dialog. Out of those
icons My Documents looks the least broken - with it's wannabe 98/ME/2000
styling. Desktop, "/", My Computer and Trash look like they've been
taken from large icons which have shrunk - badly, and with a broken
alpha channel. And the new golden Folder icons look completely out of
place - they bear no resemblance to anything else, they've been scaled
down poorly, they don't look like Windows icons, and they don't fit in
with the Gnome desktop (and I can't imagine they'd look good in KDE or
on Mac either).

I'd really like for Wine to start using icons from the Tango project, or
similar. The purpose of Tango was to create a set of icons that are
clear to see, and look good on Windows, Gnome, KDE, and MacOS. Surely
that's exactly what we want?

Note that ReactOS is using Tango, and it seems to be working out pretty
well for them!

Any comments on that?

Best Regards
Joel Holdsworth