RFC: Proposed new web site design

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Mon Nov 24 15:39:05 CST 2008

At Wineconf, we made the decision to change the entry page to the Wine
web site.  The hope was to simplify and stream line it, and to put in
place the infrastructure to start moving more content to the Wiki.

Jeremy Newman and Jon Parshall have put a lot of time and energy into a
proposed new design, following what we took away from the meetings at
Wineconf.

A mock up of that design is up now here:
  http://wine.codeweavers.com/winehq_new/

...and the theming intended for all 'child' pages of the web site,
starting with the Wiki:
  http://wine.codeweavers.com/winehq_new/wiki.html

Beyond the normal controversy that any new design sparks there is one
major potential controversial change.

That is, I am asking for prime placement on the download page on behalf
of CodeWeavers instead of the (stale and ugly, sorry) banner ads we used
in the past.  You can see our current concept around that positioning here:
  http://wine.codeweavers.com/winehq_new/download.html
I hope that the general community sees that as a reasonable exchange for
all of the work we put into Wine and hosting the Wine server, and a vast
improvement over the banner ads.

At any rate, comments and feedback are welcome.

And in a vain attempt to prevent all the flames from scorching Jon and
Jeremy, I'd like to officially state how much I appreciate their efforts.

Cheers,

Jeremy