Wineconf follow up: Wine Usage Data Collection

Austin English austinenglish at
Sun Oct 5 23:32:59 CDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 11:22 PM, Zachary Goldberg <zgold at> wrote:
> Hello All,
> Just wanted to continue the thread from Wineconf about tracking usage
> data in Wine.  We had discussed adding an opt-in system at first run
> where all invokations of Wine would send a token to WineHQ to track
> the number of times users run given applications to help direct
> development.  Thoughts?
> --Zach

I like this idea. Couple unaddressed problems:

If it's stored in WINEPREFIX, then each time a new prefix is used,
they'll get the prompt each time. Then again, maybe most people aren't
doing this.
How are we tracking apps? By filename/md5sum/filesize/installed filepath?