Wineconf follow up: Cosmetic website changes

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Oct 6 00:42:09 CDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Zachary Goldberg <zgold at bluesata.com> wrote:
> So there seem to be some fundamental issues conflicting here.
> wiki.winehq.org is a good place to send newbies because it has tons of
> information, but its not an easy landing page for somebody new to look
> at.

Oh, I don't know.  Seems to me that the wiki it's a *better*
landing page for newbies; it does a better job of leading them
by the hand without making them scroll or click.

winehq.org has a lot of stuff they don't care about, and they
have to scroll or click to get to something friendly.

> OOO's website however has very little in the way of raw information,
> however it does have nice and easy aesthetics which directs users to
> said information.

If it directs users to information well, it's not aesthetics, it's usability.

The idea is to use the front page to quickly handle the most
frequent questions (how to get it, where's the doc), and if that's
not what they're after, to direct them to a page based on
their 'role' (e.g. user or developer).

> Currently the homepage has a whole bunch of different things, which do
> we want to keep?
>
> * Left menu nav for main winehq sites
> * About static pages nav
> * download nav
> * support nav
> * Dev. nav
> * search in the bottom left corner
> * Landing paragraph + random screenshot
> * Main news feed
> * Latest release
> * Random quote
> * Ads by Google
> * WWN Backlisting
> * Hosted by CW / Paypal buttons

Anything users don't care about should not be on the front
page (except for a 'Developers' link).
- Dan