Wineconf follow up: Wine Usage Data Collection

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 01:18:40 CDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 12:32 AM, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
> If it's stored in WINEPREFIX, then each time a new prefix is used,
> they'll get the prompt each time. Then again, maybe most people aren't
> doing this.
> How are we tracking apps? By filename/md5sum/filesize/installed filepath?

I don't think enough people really use prefixes currently for it to
matter though I'd like to see that change in the future as part of the
desktop integration work we discussed at WineConf. Also I think a
mixture of name/sha1 hash is a good way to go. It would do wonders for
us to tie in to appdb in case there is are tricks and tips for various
versions of software such as stock, sp1, sp2, etc.

--
Steven Edwards