Wineconf follow up: Cosmetic website changes

Jeremy White jwhite at winehq.org
Mon Oct 6 07:26:40 CDT 2008

> Oh, I don't know.  Seems to me that the wiki it's a *better*
> landing page for newbies; it does a better job of leading them
> by the hand without making them scroll or click.

I disagree.  People still have an expectation that a 'front page'
has some sort of introductory component to it.  And even users expect
to need to go to a front page, I think they would almost be caught off
guard to be thrown straight into a Wiki.  (You almost need the motivator of
'trouble running Wine? go here!').  And I don't like the notion that
users somehow get to trump all other potential uses of the web page.

> If it directs users to information well, it's not aesthetics, it's usability.
>
> The idea is to use the front page to quickly handle the most
> frequent questions (how to get it, where's the doc), and if that's
> not what they're after, to direct them to a page based on
> their 'role' (e.g. user or developer).

But this I do agree with.

Cheers,

Jeremy