Wineconf follow up: Cosmetic website changes

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Oct 6 08:36:59 CDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:26 AM, Jeremy White <jwhite at winehq.org> wrote:
>> Oh, I don't know.  Seems to me that the wiki it's a *better*
>> landing page for newbies; it does a better job of leading them
>> by the hand without making them scroll or click.
>
> I disagree.  People still have an expectation that a 'front page'
> has some sort of introductory component to it.

The wiki does have introductory content.  It says, right at the top:

"Wine enables Linux, Mac, BSD, and Solaris users run Windows
applications without a copy of Microsoft Windows. Wine is free
software under constant development. "

> And even users expect
> to need to go to a front page, I think they would almost be caught off
> guard to be thrown straight into a Wiki.

I wasn't proposing replacing www.winehq.org with a wiki; the wiki front
page is just a very rough draft of what the front page should
be.  (I'm not happy with it yet, either, but I think it's an improvement
info-access-wise over our current front page.)

> And I don't like the notion that
> users somehow get to trump all other potential uses of the web page.

It's a simple matter of reducing unusability for the greatest number of people.

And besides, we work for the users, don't we?  :-)
- Dan