Wineconf follow up: Wine Usage Data Collection

James Hawkins truiken at
Wed Oct 8 14:06:33 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Zachary Goldberg <zgold at> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 2:59 PM, James Hawkins <truiken at> wrote:
>> You guys need to realize that in any given day we, as developers,
>> destroy and recreate wineprefixes several times.  Having a popup for
>> every wineprefix creation will be extremely annoying.  If this can't
>> be done behind the scenes, say as a winecfg option, then I wouldn't
>> expect to get much support for this.
>> --
>> James Hawkins
> I don't see why it would present any technical problem to have a way
> to disable this.. wineprefixcreate --quiet?

Because then the policy is opt-out instead of opt-in.  Also,
wineprefixcreate is run automatically now anytime a wineprefix is
created; how will you handle the quiet option for those cases?  I
don't have a problem with someone figuring out a way to get usage
statistics and implementing it as long as it doesn't change our work

James Hawkins