Wineconf follow up: Wine Usage Data Collection

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 15:42:39 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:34 PM, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If developers are building from git and not enabling that option, we
>> wouldn't be bugged by it, only end users would.
>>

> Ok, then you need to clarify what your plan with this 'option' is.  Is
> this an option passed to configure that is disabled by default?  If
> the configure option is enabled, then the user gets a popup?
>
> --
> James Hawkins

To list as well:

I didn't propose that option, I proposed 4. I simply summarized the
proposals to clarify things. Looking at Zach's proposal:
"so make it default not show, but allow distros to reverse that."

I'd say build the survey in to run on first wineboot, when the
directory doesn't exist. Give an option in configure that would enable
the survey, but otherwise have it off by default. Or maybe in
tools/wine.inf, but does wineboot parse that before or after creating
the directory?

-Austin