Wineconf follow up: Wine Usage Data Collection

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Thu Oct 9 09:13:07 CDT 2008

"Henri Verbeet" <hverbeet at gmail.com> writes:

> 2008/10/8 Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com>:
>> Currently, we've got two problems:
>> 1) We want to collect Wine usage data, so we know where to concentrate
>> our efforts.
> Just curious, but do any actual developers really care about this? My
> feeling is that bugzilla gives a pretty good idea of what people are
> having trouble with already. (Not necessarily trying to shoot it down,
> but keep in mind that receiving and processing the data will require
> some infrastructure as well, and I wonder if it's worth all the
> trouble.)

I'm very skeptical too. I certainly don't think it's worth all the
complexity that has been discussed around here, and in any case it can't
be allowed to slow down the normal app startup code path.

If there's really a need for this, it should be done somewhat like the
Debian tracker, say by having a package that installs a cron job that
looks for exe files and sends a list of the ones that have been accessed
recently, or something along those lines.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org