rpcrt4: Use pseudo-random numbers to generate UUIDs rather than using the (old, deprecated) MAC-address-and-time generation algorithm (try 2)

Rob Shearman robertshearman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 07:22:42 CDT 2008

Hi Juan,

2008/10/9 Juan Lang <juan.lang at gmail.com>:
> +    RtlGenRandom(Uuid, sizeof(*Uuid));
> +    /* Clear the version bits and set the version (4) */
> +    Uuid->Data3 &= 0x0fff;
> +    Uuid->Data3 |= (4 << 12);

The RFC recommends the following:

   o  Set the two most significant bits (bits 6 and 7) of the
      clock_seq_hi_and_reserved to zero and one, respectively.

However, I don't see that done in your patch. Also, I don't know what
compatibility effect changing the algorithm will have on applications.
Have you checked which algorithm recent versions of Windows use and
what bits are set?

Rob Shearman