Wineconf follow up: Wine Usage Data Collection

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 17:32:32 CDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Very true. Where it would help is with knowing what apps people are
>> running. Many people might try Wine, and never get it to work, then
>> give up without filing a bug. Conversely, some people might have it
>> work perfectly fine, but since it works great, we never see bugs
>> filed. By collecting these statistics, we'll be able to know what apps
>> to focus on, which will give a bit better direction on which bugs to
>> fix, which features to implement, etc.
>>

> That's some pretty strange logic.  If most people are running app X,
> but we don't know about it because it runs really well so we don't get
> a lot of bug reports for it, then why would we want to *focus* on that
> app?  We should be focusing on apps that don't work, or have lots of
> bugs.  We already have this information from the thousands of bug
> reports in bugzilla.
>
> --
> James Hawkins

It would give us an idea of what apps to focus on when/if moving
toward graphical/app based regression testing, as well as what apps to
focus on improving performance in.

Though, obviously those aren't high priorities, focusing on broken
apps should be. Like I said, however, some people may get fed up and
not bother to file bugs. I know often times in other programs, I don't
file bugs, instead, I find a way around it or switch programs. Some
others, like VLC, I try to report, but never am able to since they
won't confirm I'm not a robot... /end rant

--
-Austin