Proposal: switch Wine source tree to utf-8

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Oct 12 09:25:01 CDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:43 AM, Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dan Kegel wrote:
>> [Let's convert the whole wine source tree to utf-8.  Some of it already is,
>> but I suspect lots of other files are in obscure character
>> sets, which complicates patch processing and display.
>> Then there'd be less confusion about
>> how to view and edit various resource files.]
>
> Preferably that should be done by a translator of the language. There might
> be some oddities that prevent a full automatic recoding: e.g. Romanian uses
> latin-2 and that one has only a "t with cedilla" which exists in utf-8 too
> but utf-8 has the more correct "t with comma below accent".
> We should encourage the translators to move to utf-8.

Nogo just converted lots of Japanese resources, which is great.
There are probably upwards of 500 files left to convert, though.
At some point, after we've been asking translators to move to utf-8 for a while,
we should probably do a mop-up pass and do automatic
recoding.  Translators will then pop out of the woodwork to
fix any mistakes that causes :-)
- Dan