Kernel32: 3GB UserSpace boot option

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 04:29:34 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 15 October 2008 01:37:46 am Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> There is no need for hacks like that, 3 Gb address space limit is already
> implemented in Wine, but is being activated only for applications marked
> as IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE for obvious reasons.

Doesn't that only work if Windows is already booted in 3GB mode? I thought I
read somewhere that the flag doesn't do anything if the system wasn't booted
with /3GB..

Here:
"The /3GB switch allocates 3 GB of virtual address space to an application
that uses IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE in the process header. This switch
allows applications to address 1 GB of additional virtual address space above
2 GB.
The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2
GB, unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file."
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx