Splitting the appdb Top 25 list

Jeff Davis heavensblade23 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 17:58:27 CDT 2008

Do developers set priorities based on what's on the voting list anyway?  I
mean, does any developer ever really say 'Wow, Bioshock has
42 votes, maybe I should work on that tomorrow'?  That's almost certainly
not the case.

For the longest time as a user I had the impression that wine developers
spend half of their time writing hacks to make this week's new game
work.  Probably inaccurate, but that's the impression I Ithink part of that
perception came from seeing what apps were being voted on.

I know for a fact the list is at least somewhat distorted.  Magic The
Gathering: Online is #3 on the list, and I was basically the one that helped
get
it to that position by asking people on other sites to vote if they wanted
to see it working under Linux.  About 100 people voted for it within 72
hours.
Despite that, it's not a very popular app.  It's something I think Linux
gamers might be interested in, in general, but even on Windows it probably
has less
than 50,000 active accounts.