shell32: FOF_MULTIDESTFILES must be set when copying files into directory

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 16:28:32 CDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 7:47 AM, Vitaly Perov <vitperov at etersoft.ru> wrote:

>> You never mentioned a specific program, so I still don't know if this
>> is a real world bug you're running into.  Either way, your logic is
>> flawed, as fileOp.pTo is a single directory in this case, so using
>> FOF_MULTIDESTFILES is wrong.
>
> MSDN: FOF_MULTIDESTFILES
>    The pTo member specifies multiple destination files (one for each source
> file in pFrom) rather than one directory where all source files are to be
> deposited.
>
> As I understand, FOF_MULTIDESTFILES must be set, when pTo is directory
>
> The program is Garant 7 F1 (Russian legal system database). I don't think you
> know this program.
> It is not a real world bug, but there are some significant bugs in
> SHFileOperationW. I don't think a lot of programs use SHFileOperationW to
> move a files, so these fixes maybe don't fix bugs in bugzilla, but is it
> criterion why pathes wouldnt't be applied?
> I solve these bugs for Etersoft. Now in Etersoft wine Garant installs
> perfectly. But I want to fix these bugs in wine.
> I don't think my patches are perfect. I can fix them if you say what's wrong.
> I used to write a tests, but even a tests are ignored. Without any
> explanation. I was resending them, but had no answer again. Sometimes I think
> it's just waste of time.
> I have a lot of patches which I could send, but I think they wouldn't be
> applied just because they don't fix any "real world bug".

Just blindly rummaging through code you don't understand very well
(and yes, it's a complex beast of a function) is a recipe for
disaster, and by disaster I mean introducing new bugs.  Your
assumption about this 'potential' bug is wrong.

> MSDN: FOF_MULTIDESTFILES
>    The pTo member specifies multiple destination files (one for each source
> file in pFrom) rather than one directory where all source files are to be
> deposited.
>
> As I understand, FOF_MULTIDESTFILES must be set, when pTo is directory

That is incorrect.  Please read the definition more carefully.  The
only time FOF_MULTIDESTFILES should be provided is when there are
*multiple files* in pTo, and the definition explicitly says "rather
than one directory."

--
James Hawkins