wine users forum registration issue

Marcus Meissner meissner at suse.de
Wed Oct 22 07:38:33 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 07:19:46AM -0500, Jeremy White wrote:
> > Right. So the forum software is broken, and all of the Wine devs would rather
> > fix Wine than the forums? Sounds like a good case for ditching the forums.
>
> I disagree violently.  The case for the forums is clear; users prefer them by a rather large amount.
>
> If we're going to provide user facing resources on winehq (which I, at least,
> intend to see happen), then I think the forums are the correct answer.
>
> However, with that said, some sort of captcha is a requirement on forums; they
> really suffer from automatic spam attacks.
>
> Does anyone know *why* these people suffer?  Is there something specific to their
> monitor or is it just a general struggle with captchas?

Hmm,

I just tried registering.

- first try failed with bad code, unsure why
- second try too
- third try ... showed me a captcha with 20 letters, some of them in the
  background...  thanks.

- fourth try I entered uppercase letters: the captcha seems to be case
  sensitive. Once entering upper case letters it worked.

I would suggest a note "letters are case sensitive" might be in order.

Ciao, Marcus