Winelib and static-build

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Oct 24 10:39:24 CDT 2008

Alan Nisota wrote:
>> I have a project (http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux) which is a
>> linux executable which provides access to Windows DirectShow filters
>>
>> The problem is that I normally provide a static binary so that users on
>> x86-64 can install it easily without needing a 32bit build environment...
>
>I expect to need to depend on the wine package anyway.
>What I was looking for is a way to supply an executable
>that will run on any distro that has wine installed already.
>However, as I said, it must be a winelib app, and I
>need to statically compile in libc, and librt to make
>a build that 'just works' on x86-64 distros.

How about making the win32 part of your app a real
win32 .exe that just runs with Wine, and uses
commandline / environment, pipes, or sockets
(or maybe even shared memory) to communicate with the native part?

The problem with shipping winelib apps is that
IIRC winelib is not a stable ABI.  win32, however, is.
- Dan