Vertex pipeline replacement

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Wed Oct 29 20:01:57 CDT 2008

Hi,

I have my vertex pipeline replacement almost ready to send. Because the
fragment pipeline replacement caused a bunch of regressions, I want to give
this patch a bit of testing before committing it. I expect slightly more
regressions there because the vertex processing stuff is still badly tested,
especially lighting.

Can you give the patches a try and see if your game still works? For now the
most important part is that the game works without any performance loss or
rendering bugs.

This patchset is supposed to address the following issues:

1) Improve performance in applications that are hit hard by drawStridedSlow.
I don't know if there are many left, because the vertex buffer fixups really
helped here

2) Allow adding features that do not exist in the GL fixed function
pipeline(or are not supported by drivers): Vertex blending, tweening, more
efficient material tracking, per-vertex point size

3) Make the way towards OpenGL 3 forward compatibility mode

So far (1) should already go some way with these patches. There are no new
features added yet, and opengl 3 needs the same stuff implemented with GLSL
and further work, but this is a necessary start.

Once these patches are in, I'll turn to fine-tuning things. The rhw handling
can be done better(maybe), and vertex buffer loading can be made much
cheaper if the pipeline replacement is in use and opengl supports native 16
bit vertex attributes. This should get old card compatibility costs off our
backs when we're running on a modern GPU without sacrificing backward
compatibility.