DIrectSound on top of openAL ?

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 13:56:53 CDT 2008

On Friday 31 October 2008 10:11:12 am you wrote:
> I think that your dsound->openAL wrapper could be used verbatim in wine,
> if wine provides an openal32.dll <-> native openal wrapper (as with
> opengl32).

I have one of those, too, but it's not yet suitable for inclusion into Wine.
In particular, I need to make wrapper functions for even all extension
functions, which I haven't done yet (and unlike GL, there's no simple file I
can parse to auto-generate such wrapper functions; but also unlike GL,
there's not so many).

> By the way, did you try your dll with vista, which dropped dsound
> hardware acceleration ?

I haven't, as I don't have Vista. I also don't think I have any cards that
have a native OpenAL hardware driver. A problem with this is that a default
OpenAL install will have an OpenAL->DSound wrapper as a fallback.. so if you
have a DSound->OpenAL wrapper and a OpenAL->DSound wrapper at the same time,
you obviously get some problems. ALchemy got around this by loading
ct_oal.dll directly, bypassing the wrapper (at least in the free beta they
had).

So it can work in Wine, with an OpenAL32 DLL thunk and a bit more work on both
sides, but it working in Windows without locking down to specific drivers
will be a bit more difficult.