Recent msi/package tests failures

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 20:26:55 CDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:08 PM, James Mckenzie
<jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> James:
>>>
>>> +1 to one log file.  I hate having to look through piles of log files to find errors.  Yes, I know that I could grep them, but that is an added step that should not be needed.
>>>

>>Why would you be grep'ing windows msi log files?
>>
> grep is the tool of choice when working with Linux/UNIX text files and searching through thousands of them.

Don't patronize me.  If you can't be mature on this list, then don't post.

> If this process is run on Wine in the state that I understand it is, and I may be incorrect, thousands of logging files may be created.

Incorrect.  Logging is not implemented in Wine's msi, and probably
never will be as we have our own logging mechanism.

> Also it is less resource intensive to search one text file under Windows, unless the file is very, very large (> 1 MB).  Searching a directory of thousands of files can take a long time (I have experience with this.)

That doesn't answer the question of why you, a winetest user in this
sense, would be searching through windows installer logs after running
the tests.

> One file per run is all that should be created, IMHO.

No, zero log files should be created.  This discussion is about
reducing the time it takes to run the tests, and any logging hinders
that effort.

--
James Hawkins