Launching a Linux Executable from a Windows app Running under Wine

Rob Shearman robertshearman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 12:08:41 CDT 2008

2008/9/9 Mike Engelhardt <mike.engelhardt at sbcglobal.net>:
> Steve,
>

>> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Mike Engelhardt
>> <mike.engelhardt at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>> Is there a supported/recommended manner of launching
>>> an X Window System executable with Linux absolute
>>> path arguments from a MS Windows application running
>>> under Linux & WINE?
>>
>> There is a script to invoke native apps that have a windows
>> association. I don't know if this will really work the way you want.
>> If you expect to be able to just click on help and have it invoke xchm
>> for chm files, then no but if there is a windows association set and
>> your application tries to open the file using the association method,
>> like say you have pdf files registered using xpdf and IE tries to Open
>> the pdf, then yes it will work.
>
> I'm do not want to change global associations, I just
> want a way to launch a Linux executable from a Windows
> program.  Right now, I've written the Windows app to
> do this:
>
>   char XchmViewer[MAX_PATH] = "Z:\\usr\\bin\\xchm";
>   sprintf(cmd, "%s %s", XchmViewer, helpfilepath);
>   system(cmd);
>
> Where the helpfilepath is computed to outsmart WINE
> trying to outsmart Windows.  I also don't like that
> I have to use a path like "Z:\\usr\\bin\\xchm" to
> invoke /usr/bin/xchm since my app should not need to
> know what the drive letters are.
>
> Since I'm the one writing the Windows app, I would like
> to be able to launch a better native Linux app to launch
> than WINE's .chm viewer.

Hi Mike,

You should you should just do "ShellExecute(helpfilepath)" and set the
default value of HKCR\chm.file\shell\open\command to Z:\usr\bin\xchm
on install and the user can change this if he or she wishes.

I think it is safe to assume that Z: will always map to "/" in Wine.
You can always not install the association if Z: isn't mapped to
anything.

--
Rob Shearman