Praise of sorts for Wine re Softmaker Office 2008

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 10 10:17:35 CDT 2008

>Dan Kegel wrote:
>> http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/softmaker-office-2008--eine-alternative--vora/
>> has a review of an office suite named Softmaker Office 2008,
>> available for Windows and now also Linux.  The review says in part
>>
>> "Irritiert hat uns, daß die Windows-Version von Office 2008, die
>> von Stick gestartet werden kann, unter Wine besser, schneller
>> und stabiler läuft, wie die native Office 2008 für Linux. Wer also
>> die Windows-Version legal erworben hat, kann hier Geld sparen."
>>
>> ("It irritated us that the Windows version runs better on Wine
>> than the native Linux version.  If you have the Windows version
>> already, save your money and run it on Wine.")
>>
>> That's praise of sorts... although I hope it doesn't
>> dissuade other vendors from doing native ports.
>> - Dan
>>

>I noticed the same type of thing when I was playing with DVD Shrink a couple
>days ago. Ripping speed in DVD Shrink via Wine was significantly faster than on
>Windows. What usually is a 2.5 hour process was about 1.5-1.75 hour process.
>
>I agree though, hopefully the software vendors will do native ports :).
>
>-Zac

I just attended the convention for the National Verbatim Reporters Association in Savannah, where I demonstrated DNS 9.0 running on WINE with Ubuntu Studio (realtime kernel seems to make a slight difference). All the vendors were impressed, and one said he'd never seen DNS 9 run that fast, that accurately.