Size of SUBHEAP in heap.c

Martin Profittlich martin.profittlich at
Wed Sep 10 11:52:57 CDT 2008

when trying to fix an issue with Guitar Rig 3 on Wine (Bug 10129, "Guitar Rig 3 crashes"), I found out something odd: The crash is affected by the size of the SUBHEAP structure in dlls/ntdll/heap.c. Just by adding 8 unused bytes to SUBHEAP, GR3 does not crash anymore. Add another 8 bytes, GR3 crashes again, yet another 8 bytes - no crash and so on.

The bug surfaced with this commit:

ntdll: Remove assumptions that the subheap is at the beginning of the memory block.

I don't think the commit is the cause of the problem. It merely changed the size of SUBHEAP to a problematic value.

I don't really understand the inner workings of heap.c. Does anyone have an idea what the cause might be, or where to look for more information?

P.S. Link to the bug:

Ideal für Modem und ISDN: