Size of SUBHEAP in heap.c

celticht32 at celticht32 at
Wed Sep 10 13:23:20 CDT 2008

 This sounds like a segment / Boundry issue... how far up does it repeat this action? or have you tried??? is it an even number of blocks that the error does not occur?

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Profittlich <martin.profittlich at>
To: wine-devel at
Sent: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:52 pm
Subject: Size of SUBHEAP in heap.c

when trying to fix an issue with Guitar Rig 3 on Wine (Bug 10129, "Guitar Rig 3
crashes"), I found out something odd: The crash is affected by the size of the
SUBHEAP structure in dlls/ntdll/heap.c. Just by adding 8 unused bytes to
SUBHEAP, GR3 does not crash anymore. Add another 8 bytes, GR3 crashes again, yet
another 8 bytes - no crash and so on.

The bug surfaced with this commit:

ntdll: Remove assumptions that the subheap is at the beginning of the memory

I don't think the commit is the cause of the problem. It merely changed the size
of SUBHEAP to a problematic value.

I don't really understand the inner workings of heap.c. Does anyone have an idea
what the cause might be, or where to look for more information?

P.S. Link to the bug:

Ideal für Modem und ISDN: