Debugging Wine thoughts

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Wed Sep 10 22:22:14 CDT 2008

Chris Ahrendt wrote:
> Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
>> Do not top post! Especially with html message!
>>
>> celticht32 at aol.com wrote:
>>> So is there a way... from say something like GDB to send a message to
>>> wine to do the same thing..
>>>
>>> The problem is the task manager is envoked in wine correct? so If we are
>>> debugging its kind of
>>> hard to get to the taskmgr....
>>> Chris

It's not that easy. Task manager reads/writes directly into the memory of
the process to get state, enable or disable debug channels. So yeah you can
do that from GDB, You just need to find exactly the place to read from/write to.

This is such a pain because it's made to be fast with a minimal overhead.
Not to be easily used on the low level.

Vitaliy.