Taking advantage of debug libraries

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at orange.fr
Thu Sep 18 14:42:40 CDT 2008

Markus Hitter a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> now, as I get better and better on juggling with the various debugger
> options, I'm at a point where I'd like to get advantage of MS' C++
> runtime debug libraries.
>
> Looking at MSDN, they recommend to turn a few switches in the IDE
> and ... but this won't work, as I can't re-link my binary.
>
> Looking at what my app does, it obviously looks for mfc70.dll and is
> satisfied with getting mfc80.dll. To a Unix guy like me this looks
> weird.
>
> All Visual C++ distributions I could have a look at come with mfc42*
> libraries, no matter how recent the IDE distro is. So I've put this
> into C:/windows/system and hoped for even more magic - but it didn't
> happen. Still segment names only in winedbg.
>

> My question is: is it possible to take advantage of the mfc42d.dll/
> mfc42d.map/mfc42d.pdb file trio to get debug symbols in winedbg? Or
> perhaps even in generic gdb?
>
> If yes, where would I put these files or how would I load their
> tables into the debugger?
>

> Thanks,
> MarKus
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
> http://www.jump-ing.de/

in short:
- in winedbg, yes but .pdb should be accessible through the
_NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable
- under gdb: no, unless you use the winedbg's gdb remote stub (and the
_NT_SYMBOL_PATH must also be correctly set)
A+

--
Eric Pouech
"The problem with designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete idiot." (Douglas Adams)