configure.ac: add -Werror to default compiler options

Juan Lang juan.lang at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 19:10:46 CDT 2008

> Are you sure about that?  When I configure with -Wall -Werror,
> I can't even configure properly; one gets the errors
>
> configure: libxrandr development files not found, XRandr won't be supported.
> configure: libxinerama development files not found, multi-monitor
> setups won't be supported.
> configure: WARNING: Old Mesa headers detected. Consider upgrading your
> Mesa libraries.
> OpenGL and Direct3D won't be supported.

This is precisely part of the problem with -Werror.  You've now caused
some configure checks to fail that, presumably, were passing before.
Are they worth making warning-free?  Some of the warnings may be in
headers we don't control.  What do we do then?

> And if one blows past those, "make depend" fails.  In fact, everything
> fails pretty spectacularly.

So a broken config leads to a broken compile?  I guess I'm not seeing
the severity of that.
--Juan