PrintDlgEx [2/7]: Add basic dialog.

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Fri Sep 19 16:16:09 CDT 2008

Detlef Riekenberg wrote:
> On Do, 2008-09-18 at 09:58 +0200, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
>
>> there is no point in adding new resources in English to the other
>> languages rc files. If a resource doesn't exist Win32 will automatically
>> fail over to use the en_US version.
>
> According to julliard a while ago, this is not the case.
> Strings for sure will not fallback, when a group is present, but
> incomplete.
> (The last digit of the resource-id is the index in the group)
> For dialogs, I'm not sure, how large the group is.
Dialogs are one resource. Stringtables are the oddballs as 16 strings
form a resource. I was talking of adding new resources and explicitly
not amending existing ones. And the patch was adding 2 new dialogs so
there was no point of confusing Gal with the stringtables as those
weren't part of the patch.

>> Actually its even detrimental to add the new resources as:
>> a.) http://pf128.krakow.sdi.tpnet.pl/wine-transl/ cannot show those
>> resources as untranslated.
> That's a known missing feature
A missing feature for which there is *no* complete solution. There are
small resources with only 1-2 strings to translate. E.g. a lot of
languages took over "Ok". Now how do you decide if that is untranslated
or if the translation happens to be the exact same as the en_US version?

>> b.) The copied English resources have a tendency to bit-rot.
> That's a known risk.
For no added benefit. I have thrown away such bit-rotted resources
instead of fixing them and Alexandre accepted those patches.

>> c.) The patch is smaller and offers the exact same functionality.
> Smaller: Yes
> Same functionality: Not always
You are right; the smaller patch has always the better functionality.
The stringtables being the exception here but that's why I recommended
to use wrc with --verify-translation before and after the patch. If
additional DIFF and ERR lines show up one knows that the other language
resources need to be updated too. Else don't bother.

bye
	michael