configure.ac: add -Werror to default compiler options

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Sep 22 09:12:06 CDT 2008

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Dan Kegel wrote:
[...]
> So my alternate suggestion is for patchwatcher to reject patches that
> fail with -Werror.
> (And work around the couple of bogus errors I listed above.)

It does not even have to build with -Werror, just to grep the log for
warnings, and warn if there are new ones.

The benefit is that because the compilation succeeded, you still get to
test the patch for other errors, notably by running the conformance
tests. Then the patchwatcher report can complain about both warnings,
and any conformance regressions that it identified.

In fact, we could even have patchwatcher compile with multiple
compilers, a bleeding one and an older one, gcc 2.95 say, so we catch
these nameless unions earlier ;-)
(but I don't mind continuing with my weekly gcc 2.95 build)

        It really galls me that most of the computer power in the world
                          is wasted on screen savers.
                     Chris Caldwell from the GIMPS project
                       http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm