Patchwatcher problems

Rob Shearman robertshearman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 01:54:02 CDT 2008

2008/9/24 Andrew Fenn <andrewfenn at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 6:27 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>> Andrew Fenn wrote:
>>> I just submitted a patch to wine patches (Started implementing the
>>> xinput library for xbox 360 joystick support ) and I believe patch
>>> watcher failed for a few reasons.
>>>
>>>1) Although it applied my patch it didn't build it as
>>>./tools/make_makefiles isn't called so it isn't built?
>>
>> I think make_makefiles is called:
>> http://code.google.com/p/winezeug/source/browse/trunk/patchwatcher/patchwatcher.sh#129
>> Maybe I should make the log more verbose...
>
> Perhaps it is because of line 122, more specifically "patch -R -p1 <
> git.diff", because you are using patch when you call make_makefiles my
> code doesn't get it's makefiles generated. The wiki says you need to
> add Makefile.in to git before make_makefiles will work correctly?

Close, but the make_makefiles invocation that runs on the patch that
you send is on line 273. However, as you say, you need to "git add"
the Makefile.in before make_makefiles will find it and the script only
uses patch to apply the patch:
http://code.google.com/p/winezeug/source/browse/trunk/patchwatcher/patchwatcher.sh#267

Dan, I believe it would fix things if you were to change
patchwatcher.sh to use "git apply" instead of patch. It might also be
able to guess the p value better for patches generated by diff, CVS
and SVN.

--
Rob Shearman