Wine PulseAudio Driver

Arthur Taylor theycallhimart at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 15:51:45 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 11:37 -0700, Juan Lang wrote:
> Hi Arthur,
>
> > I have written a waveout/in driver for wine to use pulseaudio which is
> > in bugzilla. I would appreciate feedback on it, as I have received
> > little thus far.
>
> Great.  In general, emailing the patch here will get more feedback
> than posting it to bugzilla.

Woots!

> > I would appreciate it also if people took care to
> > ensure that their instance of pulseaudio is properly setup before
> > trying.
>
> How do we do that, if we're so inclined?

Firstly, ensure pulseaudio is running, and works (paplay <sound file>.)
Secondly, ensure the pulseaudio daemon has realtime privileges as it
stops playback stutter. Thirdly check to see that your default sample
spec and the sample spec of your sinks are sane. Either `paman` or using
`pacmd`'s CLI will tell you. Fourthly, pulseaudio prefers dirrect hw
access. You can run PA through dmix, but it gets silly. The glitch-free
stuff in 0.9.11 for ALSA is pretty sweet. Dynamic hw buffers...

Also, in the patch, configure checks for pulseaudio >= 0.9.7. I have
since noticed that it uses parts of the api from 0.9.11 and compilation
will fail against previous versions.

Thanks
--
Arthur Taylor <theycallhimart at gmail.com>