Free apps bundled with msvcp71?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Sep 29 14:27:11 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> http://www.soft32.com/download/63-129953-1/Adobe_Contribute_4_Win.exe
> fails with
> err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP71.dll (which is needed by
> L"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Contribute 4\\CoreTypes.dll") not found
>
> Wine has a nice implementation of msvcr71.dll, but not
> the C++-oriented msvcp71.dll, nor is it likely to get one soon.
>
> This brings back the question: what's a good place to
> legally and freely download an application bundled with a full set
> of msvcp71.dll et al?

Well, shoot.  I added msvcp71.dll to winetricks a while ago,
but it turns out Contribute 4 also needs mfc71u.dll,
which wasn't included where I grabbed msvcp71.dll.
Happily, I found a nifty tool which shows which apps
come with which dlls:
http://www.programchecker.com/file/8133.aspx
and sure enough, at least one of those apps is free.
Guess I should update winetricks.

Contribute 4 actually starts up with that, but it got
tangled up when I moused over several menus,
crashing with some "native code threw exception"
problem in jscript.
- Dan