User forum thread: "how can we improve WINE?"

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 19:53:20 CDT 2009

2009/4/6 Henri Verbeet <hverbeet at gmail.com>:
> 2009/4/5 Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com>:
>> Again, the same argument can be made for native dlls. Tons of
>> tutorials recommend setting just about every dll to native, and
>> winecfg allows this. Should we not allow people to set more than 3
>> dlls to native?
>>
> You could certainly make an argument for not allowing that to be done
> through winecfg. It's generally harder to remove things once they're
> already in though.

I agree with Henri here. UseGLSL and OffscreenRendering are
approaching the point where they don't need to be changed. Detecting
the amount of video memory should be preferred over setting it
manually. Most of these settings the users *shouldn't* be screwing
around with even via regedit (UsefulRegistryKeys could be renamed to
UsefulIfYouKnowWhatYoureDoingRegistryKeys).

Native DLLs are not approaching the point where they don't need to be
touched (or at least, not as fast as the D3D settings). There are
still many cases where native gdiplus, quartz, dinput, d3dx9_## etc.
are required to get your app working, and having these configurable
via winecfg provides a *much* easier way to do application-specific
overrides than doing it manually via regedit.

Of course, it's not me Warren has to convince, but AJ :)