NTFS filesystem features -> WONTFIX?

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 20:01:15 CDT 2009

2009/4/6 Chris Robinson <chris.kcat at gmail.com>:
> On Sunday 05 April 2009 5:35:36 pm Ben Klein wrote:
>> My suggestion is a drop-down box in the "Advanced" tab of "Drives" to
>> control filesystem type (separate from disk type, as is suggested in
>> Comment #7 on 17938). It shouldn't be important for floppies or even
>> CD-ROMs, but the options could be:
>> - Default (autodetect, fall-back to unixfs)
>> - FAT12 (floppies)
>> - FAT16
>> - FAT32
>> - NTFS (probably don't need different versions on NTFS)
>> Possibly restrict these to CDROM type:
>> - ISO9660
>> - UDF
>>
>> Unless someone can come up with a better default than unixfs :)
>
> Why not make the default what the filesystem actually is? Eg. if the FS is
> FAT32, report FAT32; if it's NTFS, report NTFS; if it's a unixfs, report
> unixfs; etc. The registry/winecfg can then be used to override the per-drive
> type if it causes problems with certain apps.

Isn't that more-or-less what I suggested?

The biggest problem would be detecting what filesystem a given
directory is on (noting that wine's "drives" are not even mounted
partitions). Expert parsing of /etc/mtab would indicate it on Linux
systems (and BSD?) but Solaris has a violently different mtab system.

2009/4/6 Remco <remco47 at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 2:52 AM, Chris Robinson <chris.kcat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another option is to actually implement the NTFS-specific features of
> Windows, and call it NTFS.

This doesn't sound trivial, if it's possible at all ;)