RFC: Resource editing and validation

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+8cd9 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 13:55:20 CDT 2009

+1

A box model is really the way to go here. This is how the real
toolkits do it; you don't translate the entire layout, just the text.
The toolkit generates a suitable layout at runtime based on the text
sizes. That makes it much easier to edit dialogs.

We are stuck with the inferior Windows dialog model for Wine.
Translating at build time seems a good solution to me.

It should never, ever, ever be necessary to adjust the generated
layout for a specific language. The point is to move past such things
and only translate the text. Any layout adjustments that are necessary
should be handled by the generator.

I don't think a dependency on po/gettext and the resulting two
translation systems instead of one is a good idea. I think it is best
to use the existing rc system to translate all text.

I personally am not fond of using XML for.. well.. anything at all..
but it's still an improvement over the redundant layout information we
have now.

Vincent Povirk