[2/3] ntdll: don't treat DOS paths starting with / as Unix paths

Peter Rosin peda at lysator.liu.se
Wed Apr 8 05:18:07 CDT 2009

Hi!

[I just subscribed, I hope I got the forged in-reply-to header right]

From: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247.aspx

+ MSDN Library
  + Win32 and COM Development
    + System Services
      + File Services
        + File Systems
          + File Management
            + About File Management
              + Creating, Deleting, and Maintaining Files
                * File Names, Paths, and Namespaces

"Note  File I/O functions in the Windows API convert "/" to "\" as
 part of converting the name to an NT-style name, except when using
 the "\\?\" prefix as detailed in the following sections."

So, the Win32 API supports /

BTW, people using the identity mount technique with MinGW (*) are
not unlikely to have a /bin/sh on the current drive. Hmmm, but that's
actually /bin/sh.exe so maybe they are safe? And I guess building
mingw-gcc on Windows isn't "real work" (that's the main reason for
the identiy mount, IIUC). Anyway, that's just another stab at the
python test suite.

Building stuff using MSYS/MinGW (or Cygwin) inside wine which
requires an identity mount is surely just for fun. Anything MSYS
or Cygwin inside Wine is for fun. The identity mount technique
clearly does not work with Wine.

Cheers,
Peter

(*) Google: mingw "identity mount"