i have itunes 7.60 successfully running on f10 kde 4.2

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 18:31:41 CDT 2009

2009/4/11 Warren Dumortier <nwarrenfl at gmail.com>:
> 2009/4/10 Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com>:
>> 2009/4/9 EA Durbin <ead1234 at hotmail.com>:
>>> After all we don't want to vastly increase our potential customer base and
>>> potentially get several $70 per crossover professional license or $40 per
>>> standard license fees, but rather wait until someone writes a hefty check to
>>> port it up front.
>>
>> You're confusing Wine with Crossover. Wine does not have license fees.
>> Wine does not ask for money if you want to use it, nor do Wine devs
>> ask for money if you want things fixed. Wine devs typically ask for
>> patches if you want things fixed.

You say I'm "all wrong". Am I wrong about Wine not having license
fees, and not asking for money when devs start getting involved to fix
things? If so, I owe a lot of money to WineHQ!

>> Wine also does not say "we need to get this app fixed because people
>> demand it". The closest Wine comes to that is "we need to get these
>> API calls because a bunch of apps use them and they're all breaking".
>
> You're all wrong, it's maybe not a matter of money or to have more
> users, but to let it work for a lot of users for our current users
> base. It's very annoying, and a lot of Wine users might need it ATM. A
> lot of people have older iPods who are supported by some programs like
> Amarok or Rhythmbox, but not for the latest generations...

Sorry, when exactly were you appointed to decide Wine patch acceptance
and implementation policy? It might be annoying, many users might
*strongly desire* it ("need" is the wrong word) but unless there's
someone actively submitting patches to fix it, it won't get fixed.
iTunes is not an "important" application in any way, and the bugs
involved are not blockers, nor do they even affect a wide range of
applications.

You also seem to contradict your own argument:
> and a lot of Wine users might need it ATM.
talking about support for latest generation of iPods, followed by:
> A lot of people have older iPods who are supported by some programs
> like Amarok or Rhythmbox, but not for the latest generations...

My guess is that there are more people who have older generation iPods
than those who have newer. I could be wrong, but until statistics are
presented, the problem you're talking about is nowhere near as urgent
as you imply.

Regardless, things don't magically get fixed because a user (no matter
how many users) say "I want this fixed". Bug reports are more useful
than requests like this, with extra detail provided on request. I've
had some bugs resolved very quickly by providing a lot of relevant
information, but there are still plenty of open bugs that have had no
progress in a long time (some of mine included) because there is no
one attempting to patch it. Sometimes this is a matter of effort
required (like some of the nastier ddraw bugs), sometimes there's no
one available who is experienced enough to write correct patches,
sometimes the problem is too trivial for the experienced devs to spend
their time on, since they have bigger things to worry about.