Setting working directories for applications?

Igor Tarasov tarasov.igor at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 03:19:45 CDT 2009

Hi Jeff

> There is Wine's start.exe which takes a /Unix option to start the
> supplied file in unix path form, which both sets the working directory
> and provides the commandline double quoting quirk which Windows
> Explorer does.  So, instead of cd ~/.wine/drive_c/foo && wine bar.exe,
> you can wine start /Unix ~/.wine/drive_c/foo/bar.exe

Well, I've already have looked into start.exe, and it does not provide
functionality I need.

Look: we have some program, prog.exe It is located it
~/.wine/drive_c/foo/ . But it needs it's working dir to be set to
~/.wine/drive_c/foo/bar. So, from terminal you can launch it this way:

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/foo/bar
wine ../prog.exe

Start.exe won't help here, as I don't see any path-related options there.

When installing such application, wine woul convert .lnk into .desktop
that look like this (irrelevant options skipped):

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Da Prog
Exec[$e]=env WINEPREFIX="/home/user/.wine-wt" wine "C:\\foo\\prog.exe"
Path[$e]=$HOME/.wine/dosdevices/c:/foo/bar

XFCE ignores Path attribute, and prog.exe won't launch or would
complain it can't find some files and needs to be reinstalled.

Mac also have some problems with this.

BTW, according to freedesktop specification Path attribute is optional.
http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html

--
Igor