do ERR messages imply bugs?

chris ahrendt celticht32 at aol.com
Mon Apr 13 06:55:55 CDT 2009

An Excellent point was mad in one of the bugs I reported :

Comment #25 from Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com>

The problem is that this isn't a 'normal' application doing weird
things. It's our testsuite, which does some _really_ strange stuff,
e.g., lots of corner case testing.
Our implementation code, however, knows this is weird, and prints an
error. The problem is that there's no way to tell, e.g,
dlls/mshtml/htmldoc.c that what's
being tested is dlls/mshtml/tests/doc.c, rather than foobar.exe. It's a
bit misleading, which makes it a bit harder for users.

So, there has to be a happy middle in this...
why not have in the test suite some printf or the like that says to the
effect that err output is to be expected or the like.. Most users if
they see ERROR on the screen
be it in a test case or an application will think its a bug and not just
ignore it.

Chris