Article on wine development strategy

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Fri Apr 17 22:38:46 CDT 2009

Dan Kegel wrote:
> http://yokozar.org/blog/archives/48 is a fun little look
> at using simulation to see how various strategies
> might affect Wine development.
> The one that worked out best was to pick some random
> user who's almost happy, fix the last few bugs that
> are keeping his apps from working, and then once
> he's happy, move on to the next such user.
> - Dan

Thank you Dan, you reminded me to forward my blog post to the list ;)

Coincidentally, I found an essay by Paul Graham where he says a very
similar thing: http://www.paulgraham.com/13sentences.html

--
  Better to make a few users love you than a lot ambivalent.

Ideally you want to make large numbers of users love you, but you can't
expect to hit that right away. Initially you have to choose between
satisfying all the needs of a subset of potential users, or satisfying a
subset of the needs of all potential users. Take the first. It's easier
to expand userwise than satisfactionwise. And perhaps more importantly,
it's harder to lie to yourself. If you think you're 85% of the way to a
great product, how do you know it's not 70%? Or 10%? Whereas it's easy
to know how many users you have.
--

There's a lot to learn from the model I made, and it's an easy to modify
python script that you can just run in the background while doing real

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie