Icons, logos, Tango, consistency, the user experience, and our project looks like a 2D champaign flute

Joel Holdsworth joel at airwebreathe.org.uk
Fri Apr 17 07:41:07 CDT 2009

I just had a play around with Tango-ifying Wine. The end result was
quite pleasing. There aren't too many icons to deal with, so it's not a
long job.

All I've done here is swap out the shell32 icons, but I think the
experience is definitely improved (see shell32.png). Is it worth me
submitting the attached patch?

I tried doing the same for user32 MessageBox icons, but the end result
was less pleasing. These larger icons suffer from Wine's lack of alpha
channel support when it comes to icon rendering. Semitransparent areas
are rendered in black which looks yucky.

I'm quite interested in pursuing this. I've been following wine for a
long time, but I've never worked on the code. How hard is it likely to
be for me, a wine newbie, to patch for icon alpha support?

Joel