Icons, logos, Tango, consistency, the user experience, and our project looks like a 2D champaign flute

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 15:54:47 CDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Joel Holdsworth
<joel at airwebreathe.org.uk> wrote:
>> Making the icon(s) configurable would be a bonus.
>
> Yes I'm not this will be possible in the first instance, because icons
> have to be compiled into the DLL resources at compile time. In the long
> run, it might be possible for some of our dialogs to use theme icons
> instead, but we'll still need a no-theme fallback of some kind. Also,
> the end result will likely be a mixed because even if our dialogs use
> themes, app code will often still load icons by parsing DLL resources,
> which can't be dynamic.

Making the icon(s) configurable is not that hard but it should be done
the Windows way. Windows XP has one set of stock icons compiled into
the shell / commond dialog dlls or so but all (?) icons can be
overridden by theme files (.msstyles). That's the way it should work
on Wine as well. I would prefer to have the Tango icons be the stock
icons.

Roderick