gdi32: fetch child fonts by real parent font name

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at
Sun Apr 19 01:27:42 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 05:51:45PM -0700, Lei Zhang wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Paul TBBle Hampson
> <Paul.Hampson at> wrote:
>> This patch fixes bug 18044.

>> Basically, the built-in FontLink functionality for subsituting
>> alternative fonts where a certain font is missing glyphs (used
>> by default for Tahoma and Microsoft Sans Serif under Windows) doesn't
>> work if the font is loaded via a FontSubstitution entry.

>> The only place this is really likely to happen turns out to be using
>> MS Shell Dlg as a font name, which is generally discouraged for general
>> UI use (as far as I can tell, you're supposed to use a lookup function
>> which normally returns Tahoma or Microsoft Sans Serif directly) but
>> this happens to be the case for uTorrent 1.8 onwards.

> This looks a lot like

Huh, so it does. The bug that's attached to, 16325, is a bit of an
uber-bug, and I missed looking at that link under the impression it was
fixing something else.

Oh well, too late now.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
Very-later-year Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989